Thursday, March 12, 2009

Saying Happy Saint Patrick's Day With a Big Bowl of Corned Beef and Cabbage


HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Saint Patrick's Day. I love going to the bar and drinking green beer. Let's face it, we all need a little green beer in our diets! I like wearing green because it is a spring color. Most of all, I love eating corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots! This dish brings the flavors of the holiday to your table with such ease even my "Honey" could prepare it.

Gin's Corned Beef, Cabbage, Potatoes and Carrots

2 packages of corned beef with spice packet

1 small head green cabbage

5 carrots, peeled and cut in chunks

10 small potatoes, cut in cubes

1 head garlic, roasted

1 tablespoon beef bouillon

1 tablespoon McCormick's Smokehouse Pepper

(1) Fill a slow cooker with water and set to low. Place corned beef in slow cooker with spice packets and cook 8 to 10 hours. (2) Roast garlic. (3) After 8 to 10 hours remove corned beef and let cool so you can slice. (4) Add half of the juice from the slow cooker to a big stock pot. Add an equal part water, beef bouillon, potatoes, carrots and roasted garlic. Cook until carrots and potatoes are tender. (5) Add corned beef and cabbage to pot and simmer until cabbage is tender. (6) Season with McCormick's Smokehouse Pepper. A word about additional salt: YOU WON'T NEED IT!! If you insist on salting make sure you start slow and taste. You don't want to ruin this masterpiece!!

Don't kid yourself, this isn't a dish just for Saint Patrick's Day. This can and should be eaten year round. This dish is addictive and unforgettable. It is a great way to eat cabbage. The great thing about making this in the summer months is that you make it in your crock pot. That way, you are not heating your house on a hot summer day (a hot summer day sounds good right about now.)

Top of the morning to you and I hope that there is a pot of gold at the end of your rainbow!!

8 comments:

  1. i'm going home this weekend for my mom's corned beef and cabbage! i'm so excited for it!!

    happy st. pats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good, I'm making my corned beef and cabbage over the weekend. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your corned beef and cabbage looks great. I make this every St. Patricks Day and I think I will try your recipe this year. I love using my slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one good looking bowl of corned beef and cabbage. I'd like to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with you any day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!That dish looks really tasteful! Colorful, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful. I can not wait for St. Pattys to have this!! You are making me crave it now though!! I love the photo. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Nice to "meet" you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great I am getting hungry again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this I good eat everyday...Looks great

    ReplyDelete